Thursday, November 08, 2007

Trumpet and Creativity: A Dose of Reality

My first post will have less to do with actual trumpet playing, but more about playing the trumpet for a living. As someone who has been playing professionally for 15 years and who's father has been playing for 40 years, I give you this advice: practice, and have a backup plan.

As a trumpet teacher I am part trumpet pedagogue, part Tony Robbins. I have many students who want to make a career out of performance and it is always a dilemma what to tell them. Do I tell them to go for it knowing that even if they are talented and work hard, they have a better chance at being elected for a senate seat than making a decent, above poverty level living in performance?

The answer to my question became clearer when I read Hugh McLeod's manifesto - How To Be Creative.This is a must read for anyone thinking of a music career, or any creative minded person for that matter. Put down the trumpet, don't practice for the rest of the day and meditate on what he has to say....then write and thank me. :)

No comments: